Natural hair update / Tips for your journey

5:58 PM





Hey Femmes!

So, it's been a while since I've updated you guys on my hair and all that good stuff, so, I've decided to leave you guys with a few tips that might help 'new naturals' based on my experiences. Seeing that it's already long overdue, let's get straight to it.

*Protective Styling 

 This may be essential when transitioning as it helps to shield the hair from the elements and goes a long way in helping to retain moisture. However, don't overdo it (as I have done this summer with my braids), as like everything else, too much is simply too much. Getting to know your hair is probably the most important part of the journey, and that's how you'll figure out how often what works and what doesn't, as well as the frequency at which your hair desires them.

Since going natural, I've been rockin' braids pretty frequently, and especially of late, so I hardly knew anything about my hair. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that I'm protein sensitive and my hair is barely porous, and as such, it constantly looks as if it lacks moisture. Now, my main focus is to keep it well moisturized and I achieve this by deep-conditioning at least twice per week. That brings us to my next point....

*Deep Conditioning

Another vital part of natural hair care is deep conditioning. It aids in repairing damaged hair and maintaining a healthy fro. As mentioned above, it's moisture renewing, as some shampoos  will strip the hair of its natural oils. It's good to find a treatment that works well for you from the beginning so you can plan your regimen and have it included. 

*Bed-time Protection

When I did my first big chop, I usually just dived into bed with no care, and I learnt quickly that this wasn't the wisest thing to be doing; my hair was breaking and my ends constantly split. Since then, I've used a satin/silk wrap every night, as our cotton pillow cases will steal the moisture from our hair, and trust me, you don't want that. If you don't want to tie your hair down as some may find it uncomfortable, a pillowcase of similar fabric may be just as good.

*Keep the Heat Minimal or Use None at All

Put down the blow dryers and flat irons for a minute; let's leave them to our other friends. Excessive heat will make hair dry and brittle, and eventually, broken. Even now, I still have a few strands of hair that refuse to revert after flat ironing for a leave out some time ago. Air dry if time permits, it's really the best way I know. 

*Stop Shampooing So Much....Seriously

Some shampoos will strip your hair of its natural moisture, but should you insist, reach for sulphate-free brands.

*Finger Detangle

This is optional but I think it's worth the mention. While a comb or brush may be used, I usually prefer my fingers as I find that the other objects are sometimes a little bit too rough on my locks.

So along with those mentioned above, it may also be beneficial to check out the following terms as well:

*'Pre-Poo'


*'Co-Washing'



*'No -Poo'



*Dusting

Recent pictures of my hair ..
Sorry if the lighting is bad for some of them .I'll probably do an update on the products I'm using for my hair in another post because I'm really digging a few products now .

                 My hair when wet 



 As you can tell I am kinda lazy lol so I don't comb my hair out a lot . 

       Hair when dry / semi dry 







If you Guys have any questions , feel free to ask or hit me up on Instagram or Facebook :).

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook